Request for Reclassification
Students who have submitted a request for reclassification must also provide appropriate supporting documentation, which is determined by the submitted petition type. Your request cannot be evaluated without this documentation. Petitions that are not supported by appropriate documentation will be denied or withdrawn.
- Confirm your residency petition has been submitted: residency reclassification application 1
- Submit all required documentation to the Residency Classification Office after your petition has been submitted.
- Documents can be submitted at any University Registrar Services location or submitted electronically as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Documents submitted without a petition are not reviewed 2
Complete and print the appropriate "Supporting Documentation Checklist" from the list below. Include this form with all documentation submitted.
$50 fee required
No fee required
Petition fees can be paid at the Student Account & Cashiering Services - a copy of your receipt must be given to the residency office to confirm payment.
1 The residency application is only available to current, active, non-resident students. Students admitted for future semesters may not be able to access the application until after term activation (which occurs shortly before a student is given the ability to register for future terms).
2 A formal petition is not required for the AmeriCorps/VISTA exception.
- Additional documents may be requested by the Residency Classification Office.
- The burden of proof belongs to the student; it is your responsibility to support your petition with appropriate documentation.
- Each item presented is subject to review by the residency evaluator who shall be sole judge of the authenticity or truthfulness of any material or statements submitted as supportive evidence.
- The task on your My ASU page reminding you to submit your documentation will be removed once all required items are received.
- Documents submitted without a formal request for reclassification will not be considered. You must first request reclassification via the Residency Reclassification Application.
Documents must be legible and originals are not required. Applications and accompanying documentation will be retained and kept confidential as required by law and university policies. Submitting documents electronically carries some risk and students are advised to redact sensitive information prior to submission. Please do not use three-ring binders or have your documents spiral bound.
University Registrar Services
PO Box 870312
Tempe, AZ 85287-0312
Student Services Building, Room 140
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Send questions to: email@example.com
Send documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org