Skip to content Skip to navigation

Verification of Citizenship or Lawful Immigration Status

Arizona law requires students who are seeking consideration for in-state tuition status or aid that is funded in part or in whole by state money to provide verification of citizenship, permanent residency or other lawful immigration status. Students that need to verify lawful immigration status are notified via To Do or Hold items in My ASU.

All students are advised to complete this requirement as early as possible using one of the options described below (F1/J1 International students should wait until after they arrive on campus). Processing time is approximately 2-3 business days from the date documentation is submitted. 

Verification Process

Option 1: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The easiest (and preferred) method of verification for most students is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students verified via the FAFSA do not need to provide any additional documentation. The My ASU task is cleared when Financial Aid and Scholarship Services receives and accepts your FAFSA (typically 5-7 days after the FAFSA is submitted to the US Department of Education). To ensure timely completion of this item, all students are encourage to submit the FAFSA as early as possible (the priority filing date is January 1). This My ASU task is not cleared if the  student’s FAFSA is rejected by Financial Aid and Scholarship Services until corrections to the FAFSA are made.    

Option 2: Submit Verification Documents

If you are not verified through the FAFSA process then you will need to submit your documents online, by mail or email.

Email to:

Mail to: 
Arizona State University
University Registrar Services 
P.O. Box 870312
Tempe, AZ 85287-0312

If you submit your documents by email or mail you must include a signed copy of your Verification Form along with a legible image of acceptable documentation.

If your status is not verified you will be charged non-resident tuition.  It is your responsibility to review your status and provide appropriate information in order to ensure your tuition status accurately reflects your standing.

If you have questions about the verification process or concerns about the ability to provide documentation, contact University Registrar Services at 480-965-3124 as soon as possible.

Acceptable Documents for Verifying Citizenship or Other Lawful Immigration Status

The following documentation may be accepted as evidence of citizenship, permanent residence, or lawful immigration status. This list represents the most common types of documents acceptable for verifying status. Contact University Registrar Services at 480-965-3124 for information about additional forms of documentation.

Acceptable Documents (Subject to Change)

  • Current/valid Arizona Motor Vehicle Department Driver License/Identification Card (issued October 1, 1996 or later)
  • Current/valid Drivers License, Instructor Permit or Non-Operator Identification card from a U.S. state (issued since 2000 or later). States for which licenses are not acceptable as a primary source of verification: Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington, as these states do not verify lawful immigration status in the U.S.
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs/Tribal identification card
  • Signed U.S. Passport (current or expired) - unless stamped non-citizen national
  • Signed Unexpired Foreign passport with U.S. Visa, with I-551 stamp or attached
  • Signed Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561) issued by USCIS through a federal or state court or through administrative naturalization after December 1990
  • Signed Certification of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) issued by USCIS
  • Permanent Resident Card with photograph (Form I-151) issued since 1997 or later
  • Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) issued before 1997
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form I-551) issued prior to June 1978
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • U.S. Armed Forces Driver’s License

Acceptable documents that may be used if submitted with a legible copy of a valid photo ID

  • U.S. Military DD-214 documentation ID Card for active duty, reserve or retired
  • Birth Certificate showing birth in the United States, which includes Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917), American Samoa, Swains Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless the person was born to foreign diplomats residing in the US
  • Affidavit of birth
  • Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) Issued by State Department
  • Certificate of Birth from Foreign Service Post (Form FS-545) Issued by State Department
  • Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350) Issued by State Department
  • Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) Issued since 2003
  • Form I-94 arrival/departure record with endorsement (expiration date must not have passed); stamp showing admission under section 207 (refugees) or section 208 (asylee) of the Immigration Nationality Act
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Military dependent’s ID card