The Arizona Legislature enacted legislation in 2005 (A.R.S. § 15-1626) that establishes credit hour thresholds for undergraduate students who attend a public university in Arizona. Undergraduate students who enroll for credit hours beyond the applicable threshold are required to pay an excess hours tuition surcharge. Students who have more than 145 credit hours will be assessed the Undergraduate Excess Hours Tuition Surcharge.
The Undergraduate Excess Hours Tuition Surcharge is billed in addition to tuition, program tuition, mandatory fees and class fees.
The excess hours tuition surcharge must be assessed in accordance with Arizona State Statutes and is not subject to appeal. The Arizona Legislature, however, provided for certain exemptions to the credit hour threshold and surcharge:
- Undergraduate degree programs that require credit hours above the credit hour threshold.
- Credits earned in pursuit of up to two baccalaureate degrees: The excess hours tuition surcharge is not assessed if (a) student has previously earned a baccalaureate degree and is currently admitted to one undergraduate degree program or (b) has not previously earned a baccalaureate degree and is admitted to two or more undergraduate degree programs simultaneously. This exemption does not apply to students who have previously earned two or more baccalaureate degrees or students who have earned one baccalaureate degree and are currently admitted to two or more undergraduate degree programs.
- Credits earned in the pursuit of up to two state regulated licensures or certificates: Student is not required to be enrolled in both programs simultaneously. Examples include accounting, nursing, social work, and certain engineering degrees.
- Credits earned in the pursuit of a teaching certification.
- Credits transferred from a private institution of higher learning.
- Credits transferred from an institution of higher education in another state.
- Credits earned at another institution of higher education but that are not accepted as transfer credits at ASU.
- Credits earned by students who enroll at a university under the jurisdiction of the board more than twenty-four months after the end of that student's previous enrollment at a public institution of higher education in this state.
Tuition Waivers and Scholarships
Employee waivers and tuition scholarships do not apply to the Undergraduate Excess Hours Tuition Surcharge.
Academic Year 2020–2021 Rates
For resident students the surcharge is $153 per credit hour up to a maximum of $1,071 for enrollment in 7 or more hours. For nonresident students the surcharge is $240 per credit hour up to a maximum of $2,880 for enrollment in 12 or more credit hours. For online students, the excess hours tuition rate is $108 per credit hour up to a maximum of $1,296 for enrollment in 12 or more credit hours.