Use the residency navigator to help determine which petition type is most applicable to your situation.
If you're still not sure, contact the residency office for help.
Petitions can be initiated from the residency petition dashboard. This is where you will complete the questionnaire and submit your supporting documentation.
Due to COVID-19, you will not be able to submit any documentation or pay your petition fee in-person.
The document checklists (below) will help you understand what you might be asked to submit, but you won't have a list of required documents until after you have completed the online questionnaire.
Your required documents will be uploaded via the Residency Petition Dashboard. This method is secure and your documents are saved directly to PeopleSoft. The process is mostly intuitive, but here are some tips to consider:
- Each requested document should be uploaded as a separate file - one file for your license, one for voter registration, etc.
- Upload multiple files for individual items, if needed - 12 months of bank statements can be uploaded as 12 files.
- Add descriptions to documents to clarify what they are or why something is being provided.
- You can delete documents that were added by mistake; however, once you hit the “Submit Documents” button, your records are saved to your file and cannot be removed.
- If there is something you don’t have or can’t provide, write a quick explanation in a Word or Text document and upload that instead.
- You can upload some documents and then return at a later date to finish, but nothing is official until you click on the "Submit Documents" button.
- Acceptable file types are: .BMP, .CSV, .DOC, .DOCX, .JPEG, .JPG, .PDF, .PNG, .RTF, .TIF, .TIFF, .TXT, .XLS, .XLSX
If you get stuck or have an issue, try this: How to Upload Documents. Or, let us know - we can help you through the process.
If your petition type requires a fee, you will be given two options when you complete the questionnaire: mail your payment to ASU or ask that your fee be billed to your account (this is recommended). Information about paying the fee can also be found on your required document list on the Residency Petition Dashboard.