Skip to content Skip to navigation

Dependency status

The Federal government has specific criteria on determining whether a student is considered dependent or independent for financial aid (see dependency defined by the Dept. of Education). If extenuating circumstances exist between you and your parents (i.e., abuse, abandonment), you can request a review of your dependency status by submitting a Dependency Review form.

A parent's unwillingness or refusal to contribute to educational costs or provide income information is not, by itself, a basis for review.

Show image in mobile: