The Parent PLUS Loan, a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, is available to parents of undergraduate students to help pay for educational expenses.A qualifying parent may receive a Federal Direct PLUS Loan for the education costs of a dependent undergraduate student who meets the eligible student definition. Additional Parent PLUS Loan information is available at studentaid.gov.
The Parent PLUS Loan Process
It is best to start this process at least one month before tuition is due to ensure coordination with tuition deadlines and timely disbursement of funds. See ASU's tuition deadlines calendar for details.
- Start the process by submitting a FAFSA. All students must complete a FAFSA in order to be offered a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
- After ASU receives your FAFSA, and all financial aid items on your My ASU task list are completed, you will automatically be offered a Parent PLUS Loan.
- If you are graduating in the fall, notify Student Financial Assistance in writing that you plan to graduate and will only need your loan for one semester. If we are not notified, then your loan will be split over the full year.
If your parent already has an ASURITE ID from a previous year, please do not apply for another one. Proceed to the Accept Your Loan step.
Request an ASURITE ID for your parent by completing the form at www.asu.edu/go/parentrelationship. By completing this form, you confirm to ASU who your parent is, links your parent to your financial aid file, and allows them to apply for the Parent PLUS Loan offered on your award letter.
If you already have an ASURITE ID from a previous year, please do not request another one. Proceed to the Accept Your Loan step.
As the parent, all actions performed from this point forward will be done under your own ASURITE ID.
- You should have received an ASURITE ID activation code sent to the email address your student specified when creating your ASURITE ID.
- Please follow the instructions to activate your ASURITE ID before continuing. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours, please contact the ASU Helpdesk at 480-965-6500 and select option 4 for technology help. Please do not attempt to create an ASURITE ID a second time as this will create additional delays.
- As the parent, accept your Parent PLUS Loan by going to www.asu.edu/go/parentloan and logging in with your own ASURITE ID.
- Make sure all the information on the form is correct and there are no errors in any of the following fields.Incorrect information will lead to delays with your loan application and possible denial of your loan application.
- The spelling of your name
- Your Social Security Number
- Your date of birth
- Your citizenship status
- Enter the amount you would like to accept, up to the amount offered by ASU, and click the continue button. Processing of your loan will initiate a credit check through the U.S. Department of Education. ASU will recieve notification of the approval or denial of your Parent PLUS Loan in 48-72 hours. You will also receive approval or denial information in the mail from the lender within two weeks.
- Complete Your Master Promissory Note
If you have never borrowed a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan at ASU, or an endorser was required on your loan application, you must complete a Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov. Only complete an MPN if you are the parent whose name is on the PLUS Loan application.
- Parent Loan Default Resolution
Submit the Resolve Parent Default Status form and documentation if you are currently in default on a previous federal student or PLUS loan. Your student may also submit a Parent PLUS Loan Denial Funds Request form requesting the Federal Direct Unsubsidized denial loan. If you are not in default, you must complete this form and check the box indicating that you are not in default.
- Eligible Non-Citizenship Documentation
If applicable, submit the Parent PLUS Loan Citizenship Verification form along with the required documentation to Student Financial Assistance.
All Parent PLUS Loan funds will be disbursed to your student through Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) and will be applied towards your student's outstanding ASU charges no earlier than seven days prior to the start of each semester. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to your student via paper check or direct deposit to his/her personal bank account (your student can set this up through their My ASU). Please see our calendar for disbursement dates and other important financial aid dates.
If your student is a fall/spring student, funds will be disbursed as a fall/spring loan (half in the fall and half in the spring). Your student is only eligible for a single disbursement loan if he/she is attending only one term.
- ASU is not the lender, nor do we have any role in determining the credit decision of any PLUS loan. Credit is determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S Department of Education does not share or send your personal credit information to Arizona State University.
- Although the maximum amount you can accept each academic year is the amount offered on your student's award letter, you can choose to accept an amount lower than what was originally offered. You are under no obligation to secure this loan, and are encouraged to only apply for what you feel is necessary given your family's financial situation.
- How much you accept should reflect the amount of funds you wish to borrow for your student's actual period(s) of enrollment. If your student is enrolled for the entire academic year (fall and spring), then your approved loan amount will be disbursed half in the fall and half in the spring. Please apply for a single term loan if you only plan to enroll for a single semester in the academic year. The approved loan will disburse in that semester.