If you are from a country whose native language is not English (regardless of where you may now reside), you must provide proof of English proficiency. Your application will not be processed without valid proof of English proficiency.
Acceptable proof is as follows:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 550 (PBT) or 80 (iBT). ASU’s institutional code is 4007. ASU only accepts electronic copies of the TOEFL score report.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of at least 6.5. No institutional code is needed.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 60.
Individual academic units may have higher requirements for English proficiency. Review your degree program of interest for details.
The English proficiency requirement is only valid if you have taken the tests after the dates shown below.
|Application Semester||English Proficiency Test must be taken after the date shown below|
|Summer 2015||May 1, 2013|
|Fall 2015||Aug. 1, 2013|
|Spring 2016||Jan. 1, 2014|
You could qualify for an exemption from this requirement by one of the following two options:
1. You successfully complete the highest level at the American English and Culture Program (AECP) with grades of B or better
2. You have attended in person a regionally accredited college or university in the United States and meet one of the following conditions:
- earned a bachelor’s degree or higher in the U.S., OR
- completed at least 12 credit hours of graduate course work with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale or higher (all credits must be earned in the U.S.), OR
- completed at least 90 credit hours of undergraduate course work with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale or higher (all 90 hours must be earned in the U.S.)