Skip to content Skip to navigation

Canceling or Deferring your Graduate Admission

Deferring Graduate Admission

How can I defer my admission to a future semester?

Students may request a deferral of their initial semester of admission to the next semester for which the degree program is admitting students.

Not all academic units offer deferrals, so please consult with your academic unit prior to submitting a request.

To request a deferral, open the Request Change link under My Programs and Degree Progress box on My ASU. Requested changes have a nonrefundable $30 processing fee and are subject to approval by your academic unit. Only one deferral is allowed.

Canceling Graduate Admission

How do I cancel my admission?

If you have not yet registered for classes for the term of your admission and would like to cancel your admission, please email

If you have registered for classes and wish to withdraw from the university, you will need to withdraw from your classes and fill out the Voluntary Withdrawal form. You may scan the form and email it to, fax it to 480-965-5158, or bring it to the Graduate Admission Services Office in Student Services, room 112.

International students should also contact the International Students and Scholars Center before withdrawing from classes and submitting a Voluntary Withdrawal form, as it most likely will affect their visa status.

Once you have submitted your request, please allow 10 business days for removal from communication from ASU.