Scholarship, Obama Scholars, and CAG Appeal Application
- All scholarship and financial aid programs - August 1.
- Merit students with conditionally approved, fall-only awards - December 31.
Completed appeals must be received by close of business on the appeal deadline. Late requests will not be accepted.
This form allows students who have had their scholarship(s) revoked the opportunity to request a review of their scholarship eligibility based on special or unusual circumstances. Use this form to appeal the non-renewal of the eligible scholarship(s) as noted on the appeal form.
You may be eligible to submit a scholar appeal only if you experienced significant, extenuating circumstances beyond your control. Examples of extenuating circumstances include:
- Medical. Only serious conditions may be considered extenuating circumstances. Both physical and mental illness will be evaluated as a medical circumstance. A doctor’s statement should be present that indicates the illness significantly hindered your ability to attend class or fulfill academic obligations.
- Compassionate. Only extraordinary personal circumstances beyond your control that prevented you from continuing classes may be considered extenuating circumstances.
- Compassionate care. The care of a seriously ill immediate family member may be a valid circumstance. Credible documentation should accompany the appeal.
- Death in family. A death in the immediate family may be a valid circumstance. The death of an extended family member or friend will only be considered a valid circumstance if you explain and document why that death was exceptionally distressing.
- Victim of crime/abuse. Acts of crime or abuse may be considered extenuating circumstances if you explain how it significantly impacted the ability to attend classes or fulfill academic obligations. Credible documentation, such as a copy of a police report, should accompany the appeal.
If you experienced other challenges during the semester, such as difficulty with classes, time management, work or family responsibilities or other co-curricular commitments, be aware that these are not considered extenuating circumstances. In these cases, consult your academic advisor and utilize ASU resources to ensure that you receive the guidance and assistance necessary to remain on track to graduate.
The Scholar Appeal Committee reviews the appeal and sends the student a written notification of their decision. Appeals take approximately four to six weeks to process.
Having Issues Downloading A Form?
If you are having issues viewing one of the forms above, please follow these instructions:
- Right-click on link and choose "Save link as...", or similar depending on your browser.
- Choose the location to save the form.
- Navigate to the location of the saved form on your computer and double-click it to open.