Skip to content Skip to navigation

Preferred Display Name

Use this form if you are a current student and would like to change your first name in certain ASU systems without changing your Primary (legal) name.

A change to your preferred display name will update some ASU systems but not others. Systems updated with the Preferred Name include, Canvas, My ASU, Zoom, Slack, iSearch, DARS, iPOS, Class Roster, and Grade Roster.   For a full list see Preferred Name Display.

Faculty/staff: See Instructions for Faculty/Staff Preferred Display Name Change

If you have changed your legal name and want to update your name in all ASU systems, do not use this form. Request a formal legal name change by submitting Student Name Change form.


If you have questions or need additional information, please contact University Registrar Services at or 480-965-3124.


Preferred Display Name form
Click here to submit the form electronically via DocuSign (instructions).  Electronic submissions will automatically be sent to the Registrar's office.


Having trouble downloading a form?

If you are having issues opening one of the forms above, please follow these instructions:

  • Right-click on the form link and choose "Save link as...", or similar depending on your browser.
  • Choose a location on your computer to save the form.
  • Navigate to the location of the saved form on your computer and double-click it to open.
  • To view and complete a parent form, make sure the parent is logged into My ASU as a guest.