Skip to content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions - Federal TEACH Grant

You apply for the TEACH Grant by completing a FAFSA. ASU will select students who are in the appropriate majors and offer them the TEACH Grant. Students will be required to accept the grant and complete entrance counseling as well as an Agreement to Serve.

The same deadline to apply with the FAFSA and meet eligibility requirements applies to the TEACH Grant. The FAFSA must be received, along with the Agreement to Serve and entrance counseling, before the last day of class of the fall semester (for students not attending the following spring semester), before the last day of class of the spring semester (for students not attending the following summer semester), or before the last day of summer (for students attending summer).

The TEACH Grant can be year round if the student has not used their annual limit in the fall and spring. At ASU, summer sessions are 'trailing semesters', meaning that summer is the end of the academic year.

ASU must monitor your eligibility every year. If you are receiving any federal financial aid, all sources of your financial aid (scholarships, grants, waivers, third-party payments, loans, etc.) must be calculated. The total of all sources cannot exceed your estimated cost of attendance (COA).

For students that are awarded, ASU will disburse the TEACH Grant within five business days after receiving confirmation that the student has completed the following steps:

  1. Accept the TEACH Grant on My ASU under Finances and then Financial Aid.
  2. Complete the TEACH Grant Entrance Counseling and Agreement to Serve on the TEACH Grant page on

If you raise your GPA to 3.25, submit a Teach Grant Request form to be considered for teach grant eligibility.

ASU must consider your cumulative ASU GPA in this case.

Neither, if you were awarded a TEACH Grant because your GPA is 3.25, you must maintain the 3.25 or increase the GPA in future terms to remain eligible for any additional TEACH Grant awards. If your GPA goes below 3.25, any old awards will remain as grants until you finish the program (or withdraw from school or notify the government that you do not intend to teach). Once graduated or withdrawn, the service requirement begins and the U.S. Dept. of Education will monitor your progress. You must provide them with documents showing that you are fulfilling your agreement to serve on an annual basis.

Generally a middle school math or science teacher is considered an area of high need. The U.S. Department of Education guidelines states: 'The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 a year in grant assistance to a student who agrees to serve for at least four years as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.' Please note: The TEACH Grant maximum award amount is impacted by sequestration each academic year. This can result in an increase or decrease in the TEACH Grant amount you will receive due to the scheduled percentage reduction determined by the Budget Control Act of 2011.

The award would still be a grant because you were within the time to complete the program, unless you stop attending or change your career field out of teaching. The government will be requiring you to send periodic confirmations.

As of July 2013, FedLoan Servicing began servicing TEACH Grants for the U.S Department of Education. Customer service representatives are available at 1-800-699-2908 from Monday through Friday 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM (ET). You may also access information about your TEACH grant through the website to assist in tracking your service obligation.

You must certify your teaching service or your intent to teach annually to FedLoan Servicing servicer for the TEACH Grant for the U.S Department of Education. Verification of the intent to teach is required if you are still enrolled in a TEACH Grant eligible program of study, but have not received additional TEACH Grants. If you do not certify your teaching service, your grant will convert to an unsubsidized loan.