ASU Earn to Learn is a college savings-scholarship program. Eligible students can save $500 in an Individual Development Account (IDA) for education, and ASU will provide $4,000 (an 8-to-1 match) totaling $4,500. Funds can be used toward ASU courses, mandatory fees, books and a laptop at ASU. Arizona high school and community college students are eligible to apply for the program.
In order to have your $500 savings requirement and matched funds applied to your student account, you must complete the following steps.
Earn to Learn students must complete the following steps with ASU:
- Apply and be admitted to ASU.
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. ASU’s Federal School Code is 001081. The FAFSA opens Oct. 1 each year and we recommend that students submit by Jan. 1 to be considered for the most need-based financial aid (in addition to Earn to Learn funding).
- Enroll at ASU full-time (12 credits).
Earn to Learn students must complete the following steps with Earn to Learn:
- Apply and be accepted to Earn to Learn Scholarship Program.
- Work with your Earn to Learn Success Coach and adhere to the rules of the student savings plan.
- Earn to Learn will verify you have have been admitted to ASU and completed the steps listed above before authorizing the withdrawal and submitting your approved request to ASU’s Financial Aid and Scholarship Services office.
The $500 IDA savings will be split between the fall and spring semesters. $250 of the IDA savings will post as an “Earn to Learn IDA Deposit” for the fall semester and $250 will post for the spring semester. View all deposits in My ASU > Finances tab > Account Charges box > Payments
The $4,000 Earn to Learn Scholarship is comprised of $2,000 from the federal government and $2,000 from ASU, split between the fall and spring semesters. The scholarship will be listed as $1,000 ASU Earn to Learn (Federal) and $1,000 ASU Earn to Learn (Institutional) awards in your Awards Summary on My ASU for the fall semester and again for the spring semester, totaling $4,000 for the entire academic year. View your scholarship award in My ASU > Finances tab > Financial Aid and Scholarships box > Awards Summary
- Click the “Accept” button next to your scholarship in My ASU to allow ASU to begin disbursement (posting the funds to your account).
- Funds will post to your ASU student account a few days before each semester begins.
- PLEASE NOTE: Your IDA savings deposits will only be listed on My ASU in your Payments, it will not appear in your Awards Summary where your scholarship (the matched funds) will be listed.