Skip to content Skip to navigation

Complete Session Withdrawal – The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

Since a complete session withdrawal from the university can be a difficult decision and could result in serious academic and financial consequences, undergraduate students should contact the college/school of their major to discuss the withdrawal process prior to completing the steps below.

  1. Log into MyASU.
  2. Under the My Classes section, select Registration and then Drop/Withdrawal.
  3. Indicate all classes and/or sessions you hope to withdraw from, answer the required questions, and select the Submit Withdrawal Request button.  Note: ASU Online student requests do not require any additional approval, though it is strongly recommended you speak with an Academic Advisor prior to your withdrawal.
  4. Immersion students: Your request is then delivered to the primary academic advising office of your major. Review of your request can take 1-3 business days. If approved, your request is sent to University Registrar Services for processing.

For general questions, please call The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office of Student and Academic Programs at 480-965-6506.


Withdrawal Resources

Withdrawing from Just One or Two Classes (Course Withdrawal)
After the drop/add deadline through the course withdrawal deadline for a class, students can withdraw from the class while remaining enrolled in other classes. Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor to discuss the impact this may have on meeting critical requirements.
Requesting a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal
Medical/Compassionate withdrawals are available for students needing to withdraw from one or more classes due to a personal mental/physical health condition or the death or serious illness of a family member/close friend. 
Seeking Tutoring or Academic Support Services
Tutoring centers provides a variety of services to help students become better learners and gain the confidence and skills to achieve their academic goals. services include: writing centers, math tutoring, subject area tutoring, and supplemental instruction. 
Making an Appointment with ASU’s Counseling Services
Counseling and mental health services are provided at each of the four ASU campuses.  ASU students may seek services at any of the campus counseling centers, regardless of their college affiliation. 
Exploring the Possibility of an “I” (Incomplete) Grade
A mark of "I" (incomplete) may be given by the instructor when students are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the class because of illness or other conditions beyond their control, if approved. Students interested in incompletes should discuss this option with their instructors and arrange for the completion of the class requirements.

Potential Consequences of a Complete Session Withdrawal

Financial Aid
Financial aid recipients who completely withdraw from the university may be responsible for immediate repayment of funds. The effect of a complete withdrawal on financial aid depends on when the withdrawal is dated and the type of financial aid.
The date of a complete withdrawal will determine whether or not a tuition refund will be generated. Please review the tuition refund policy for more information.
Health Insurance
Students should contact their health insurance company to determine whether or not withdrawing from the university affects their coverage.
Residential Life
Students who live on campus should contact their residential hall community staff to determine what impact withdrawing will have on their eligibility to live on campus, to complete a License Agreement Release (LAR) form, and to arrange an appointment to officially check out. More information concerning housing cancellations is available here.
Veteran Benefits & Certifications
Students should contact the appropriate Veteran Benefits & Certifications office to discuss information regarding veterans’ educational benefits and/or military activation.