Since a complete session withdrawal from the university can be a difficult decision and could result in serious academic and financial consequences, beginning the first day of the fall and spring semesters, undergraduate students are required to contact the college/school of their major to facilitate the withdrawal process.
Instructions to student (complete the following steps in the order in which they are listed):
- Fill out a Complete Session Withdrawal form
All undergraduate Nursing students are required to make an appointment with an Academic Advisor by calling 602-496-0888. For Nursing on-campus students the appointment must be an in-person appointment (no phone appointments are permitted unless the student has relocated out of state). Students who are enrolled in the RN-BSN programs may set up a phone advising with your assigned advisor. During the appointment, the advisors will explore options with you and also discuss the ramifications of your decision prior to your withdrawal from your courses.
ASU has many resources in place to help you.
Withdrawing from Just One or Two Classes (Course Withdrawal)
After the drop/add deadline through the course withdrawal deadline for a class, students can withdraw from the class while remaining enrolled in other classes. Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor to discuss the impact this may have on meeting critical requirements.
• Requesting a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal
Medical/Compassionate withdrawals are available for students needing to withdraw from one or more classes due to a personal mental/physical health condition or the death or serious illness of a family member/close friend. More information concerning medical/compassionate withdrawal requests can be found here.
• Seeking Tutoring or Academic Support Services
The Student Success Center provides a variety of services to help students become better learners and gain the confidence and skills to achieve their academic goals. services include: writing centers, math tutoring, subject area tutoring, and supplemental instruction. More information concerning Student Success Center can be found here.
• Making an Appointment with ASU’s Counseling Services
Counseling and mental health services are provided at each of the four ASU campuses. ASU students may seek services at any of the campus counseling centers, regardless of their college affiliation. ASU Counseling Center locations and contact information can be found here.
• Exploring the Possibility of an “I” (Incomplete) Grade
A mark of "I" (incomplete) may be given by the instructor when students are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the class because of illness or other conditions beyond their control, if approved. Students interested in incompletes should discuss this option with their instructors and arrange for the completion of the class requirements.
Possible consequences resulting from a complete session withdrawal:
• Financial Aid: Financial aid recipients who completely withdraw from the university may be responsible for immediate repayment of funds. The effect of a complete withdrawal on financial aid depends on when the withdrawal is dated and the type of financial aid. More information concerning the return of financial aid is available here.
• Tuition and Refunds: The date of a complete withdrawal will determine whether or not a tuition refund will be generated. Please review the Tuition Refund Policy for more information.
• Health Insurance: Students should contact their health insurance company to determine whether or not withdrawing from the university affects their coverage.
• Residential Life: Students who live on campus should contact their residential hall community staff to determine what impact withdrawing will have on their eligibility to live on campus, to complete a License Agreement Release (LAR) form, and to arrange an appointment to officially check out. More information concerning housing cancellations is available here.
• Veteran Benefits & Certifications: Students should contact the appropriate Veteran Benefits & Certifications office to discuss information regarding veterans’ educational benefits and/or military activation. Veteran Benefits & Certifications office locations and contact information can be found here.