Skip to content Skip to navigation

Complete Session Withdrawal Information – College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

Since a complete session withdrawal from the university can be a difficult decision and could result in serious academic and financial consequences, beginning the first day of the fall and spring semesters, undergraduate students are required to contact the college/school of their major to facilitate the withdrawal process.

  1. Download the Complete Session Withdrawal Form
  2. Fill out the form in its entirety and e-mail to Local students may also submit the form in person   (Armstrong Hall. Suite 102)
  3. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will submit completed authorization to the registrar’s office

For questions, please call the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at 480-965-6506.  

ASU has many resources in place to help you

Withdrawing from Just One or Two Classes (Course Withdrawal)
After the drop/add deadline through the course withdrawal deadline for a class, students can withdraw from the class while remaining enrolled in other classes. Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor to discuss the impact this may have on meeting critical requirements.

Requesting a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal 
Medical/Compassionate withdrawals are available for students needing to withdraw from one or more classes due to a personal mental/physical health condition or the death or serious illness of a family member/close friend. More information concerning medical/compassionate withdrawal requests can be found here.

Seeking Tutoring or Academic Support Services
The Student Success Center provides a variety of services to help students become better learners and gain the confidence and skills to achieve their academic goals. services include: writing centers, math tutoring, subject area tutoring, and supplemental instruction. More information concerning Student Success Center can be found here.

Making an Appointment with ASU’s Counseling Services
Counseling and mental health services are provided at each of the four ASU campuses.  ASU students may seek services at any of the campus counseling centers, regardless of their college affiliation. ASU Counseling Center locations and contact information can be found here.

Exploring the Possibility of an “I” (Incomplete) Grade
A mark of "I" (incomplete) may be given by the instructor when students are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the class because of illness or other conditions beyond their control, if approved. Students interested in incompletes should discuss this option with their instructors and arrange for the completion of the class requirements. 

Possible consequences resulting from a complete session withdrawal

Financial Aid
Financial aid recipients who completely withdraw from the university may be responsible for immediate repayment of funds. The effect of a complete withdrawal on financial aid depends on when the withdrawal is dated and the type of financial aid. More information concerning the return of financial aid is available here.

Tuition and Refunds
The date of a complete withdrawal will determine whether or not a tuition refund will be generated. Please review the Tuition Refund Policy for more information.

Health Insurance
Students should contact their health insurance company to determine whether or not withdrawing from the university affects their coverage.

Residential Life
Students who live on campus should contact their residential hall community staff to determine what impact withdrawing will have on their eligibility to live on campus, to complete a License Agreement Release (LAR) form, and to arrange an appointment to officially check out. More information concerning housing cancellations is available here.

Veteran Benefits & Certifications
Students should contact the appropriate Veteran Benefits & Certifications office to discuss information regarding veterans’ educational benefits and/or military activation. Veteran Benefits & Certifications office locations and contact information can be found here.